I'm following Steve's Perfect 10 Challenge, which is a 10 week challenge to make progress on 10 goals. The guidelines include updating every Friday on how you're doing. Here are my goals and my status.
- Plan out my weekly menu in advance and preferably use it to grocery shop (weekly menu comes from new Eating Well Diet cookbook or site, SparkPeople, Weight Watchers, or other healthy meals); meals should equal ~1500 calories a day
- How I did: Success in the planning. . . not so much in the following! I did figure out a menu over the weekend and shopped by it. But all the meals didn't map out as expected. . . keep reading!
- How I did: Success! I made a Moroccan veggie soup with lean beef, rutabega (not turnips) & other veggies and had it for lunch 3 days. I also made a rainbow salad and had it for lunch as a side all week over either mixed greens or spinach.
- How I did: I need to work on this one. I didn't plan properly to match my timing and didn't freeze the right size portions to make cooking easy for one night. When I tried to punt, I didn't really calculate the calories in advance so now I'm feeling antsy about weighing tomorrow. Next week, I'll list meals that fit my time and either prep ahead of time or calculate how much I can have (crackers, hummus, peanut butter, etc.) so I feel confident and in control. Also, on Weds. took an employee to dinner impromptu.
- How I did: 80% Success! Packed every day. I had one day for lunch that I didn't eat the soup I brought because I took an employee to lunch to discuss something since we were so busy (I ordered chicken kabobs and roasted veggies).
- How I did: Modifying this one a bit. . . .We got up and swam on Monday and we swam this morning. We also swam on Sun., but not in the AM. On Sat AM., Tues. evening, and Thursday AM, we met with our trainer, Ray--and we did our workout and cardio, but didn't swim. Hubby & I are considering that cardio may be better for us in the AMs, so we are considering swimming only 1 weekend AM and doing cardio 3 days and swimming on the weekends. I think this is a super duper successful modification of this goal!!! I continue to AMAZE myself!
- How I did: Keeping it up! On the days we've been in the pool, I used the noodle to hold onto for at least 1/2 laps to practice the kick and then I do 2 1/2 laps practicing kick and arms together.
- How I did: FANTASTIC! See above.
- How I did: I started this on Sun. as I planned with 10 minutes. And I rode it again Tuesday night and this morning. This goal could shift as our trainer suggests the elliptical for me . . .and I'm guessing that it would also get me in shape for regular biking--any thoughts or advice on that??
- How I did: Didn't go to church on Sunday. . . talked ourselves out of it since we are out of town this Sun. and have company next Sun. Have been talking to people at the gym. . . any suggestions on how to turn chats at the gym into friendships without scaring people??
- How I did: Am struggling a bit with anxiety about weighing tomorrow because of the 2 nights out eating and the punted dinners. I feel I've done great with incorporating the exercising and even with following a meal plan for the most part, so the positive side of me says, "If you don't lose weight this week, relax, you're figuring it out." And the negative side of me says, "Something happens all the time to pull you off course, that's life. If you keep blowing it everytime your schedule changes you'll never lose weight . . . this is just the 2nd week of your goal. . .you'll never get there. Feel even more nervous since tomorrow we go away for the weekend--more eating away from home. . .
I work for a health web site and have been a health editor for 20 years. That means I'm squeamish about no topic. I can go from talking about ED & vaginal discharge to pinworms and baby diapers--and all over a meal without queasiness or blush.