Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Moments When Life Stands Still


A few years ago a credible medical study showed that exercising extends life--by exactly the same number of minutes spent exercising. I remember the comments about the study included, "so you better exercise doing somthing you like.. . ."

The way I figure it, if the Fates had been kind, they would have made it so that when you exercised, time just paused. That way there could never be a time you could say, "I don't have time to exercise." When you were exercising, you wouldn't have to worry about getting to work on time, or getting home to cook dinner, or hurrying to exercise before the rain. Instead when you were working out, time would stand still. You could do something good for your body and then just re-enter life at the exact place you left it.

But since that's not the case, and wishing doesn't help, I've been taking time to exercise. Llucky for me, every now and then I have a moment when time stands still, when I don't feel any pressure to be anywhere else and where I am just focused on how relaxed I am in mind & body in the moment. The best moment like that for me is when I've done some cardio and then am in the pool and swum a few laps. Then I just let my body float up so I'm lying on my back, and I extend my arms, and I just float, looking up at the ceiling and through the skylights to the clouds, rain drops, or clear skies.

And time hasn't stopped, but I still feel good. 

Do you have moments like that?

3 comments:

  1. Yeah... in the ocean, way out on a hiking trail and when I am dancing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your insightful comments today about the treadmill- I need all the insight I can get! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Sandy. Yes, I feel good (even if time hasn't stopped) when I come down from my run on the roof and pause for a moment before jumping into the shower. Thanks for your concern re my wrist injury. I am carrying the torch now always (ha!) Blessings my friend. (((Hugs))) Jo

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. . . it lets me know I'm not alone! Please leave one.