Sunday, July 12, 2009

Day 9: Color Wheel of Foods

TODAY'S INSPIRATION

I’m getting a tattoo that says
“Desire is the key to motivation,
but it's determination and commitment to
an unrelenting pursuit of your goal
- a commitment to excellence -
that will enable you to
attain the success you seek”
on my ring finger.
Jack, blogger of Jack Sh*t, Getting Fit from his post How Committed Am I?
I mean anyone who even contemplates freakishly stretching his finger long enough to hold all the words for that commitment mantra deserves a proper shout out!

Inspirational Song
Oh Happy Day
Arethra Franklin

The Day in Retrospect
It has not been my most energetic day. . .too much Internet time. But I did have a good long chat with my dad. I got the grocery shopping done. And I splurged on breakfast with peanut butter & jelly toast and on dinner with a BLT and bowl of cereal, but stayed in my calorie range.

It's been kind of interesting so far comparing counting calories with Weight Watchers Points. There were so many point-free foods--like veggies and fat free mayo and such that I it's odd to have to consider them now. And who knew carrots had 50 calories for a serving. Yeesh! Plus, the fiber helped balance out some higher calorie things--like black beans--that you don't get the benefit of with just counting calories. I think the calorie thing is making me much more aware of every single bite and it's displacement in my day's allotments.

Look at this pie chart from my Spark page today. . . I'm not sure what a healthy wheel should really look like, but this one sure was colorful. . .


Each color represents a food I ate today and it's percentage of my total calories. the largest one--the orange represented my two pieces of breakfast toast. Then each color to the right of it, going clockwise represent these other foods that went into my belly today (not in this order):


Bread, Whole Grain 100% whole wheat Pepperidge Farm 13.5%
Cereal Honey Bunches of Oats Strawberry 8.1%
Manischewitz Tam Tam Crackers Whole Grain 8.1%
sandwich thins multi grain Arnold 6.8%
Honey Almond Yogurt, Fat Free Light, Publix 6.8%
Peter Pan Peanut Butter 6.4%
Milk, nonfat 5.8%
Milk, nonfat 5.8%
Bacon, 40% less fat Gwaltney, 3 slices=srvg 5.4%
Guacamole- Yucatan 95% Avocado Guacamole 4.1%
Beans, black 3.9%
Jams, preserves, jelly 3.8%
Spaghetti Squash 2.8%
Almonds 2.8%
Olive Oil 2.7%
Hot dog, fat free oscar meyer 2.7%
Zucchini 2%
Fat free half and half 1.8%
Milk, nonfat 1.8%
Spinach, cooked 1.4%
Peppers, sweet, red, fresh 1.4%
Ranch Dressing, Wish Bone, Fat Free 1%
Mushrooms, fresh 0.5%
Other 0.7%

9 comments:

  1. That chart is very colorful. You know, many people have asked me if I agreed with WW that all veggies were "free." I always said, "No, because they still have calories, even if just a small amount." I really like SparkPeople, and am glad you are having success there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack Sh*t is full of funny sh*t isn't he? LOL! Your food consumption for the day looks really good....and VERY colorful!! I have to track calories in and out on a daily basis. It was interesting to see calories vs points and then try to figure out that usually one point meant 50 calories, but it didn't always work that way. I honestly don't know how skinny people survive with the small amount of calories they can consume. This is what we're talking about in my clinic these days. What will our calorie intake be at our goal weight? How much exercise will we have to do to maintain it? Sheesh. Kinda depressing actually. Keep up the great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez, Sandy. It was gonna be tiny writing, you know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great idea...the graphic pie...again, good blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is complicated, but the chart sure is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a colourful post. And once again, you stuck to your calorie plan. Well done. I have to say: Jack will have to have VERY small writing to have all that tattoed on his person. (((Hugs))) Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I wouldn't tattoo it on my finger, but I really do love that quote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep up the good work! Your color wheel was very colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to think colorful is a GOOD thing! ha ha

    Imagine what a person's who ISN'T dieting would look like! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. . . it lets me know I'm not alone! Please leave one.