Sunday, October 25, 2009

Part 1: Live & Love Local--For Tomorrow You May Die

TODAY's INSPIRATION
I know the answer!
The answer lies within the heart of all mankind!

The answer is 12?

I think I'm in the wrong building.

Charles Schulz (Lucy Van Pelt in Peanuts)

Inspirational Song
Charlie Brown Theme
Vince Guaraldi


A Case for Local Living?

I got this in an e-mail from a friend and I don't know if it is really attributable to Charles Schultz or not, but it struck me as true in a bittersweet sort of way.

Charles Schultz Philosophy
The following is the philosophy of Charles Schultz, the creator of the 'Peanuts' comic strip. You don't have to actually answer the questions. Just read the e-mail straight through, and you'll get the point.

1. Name the 5 wealthiest people in the world.
2. Name the last 5 Heisman trophy winners.
3. Name the last 5 winners of the Miss America.
4. Name 10 people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer Prize.
5. Name the last half dozen Academy Award winners for best actor and actress.
6. Name the last decade's worth of World Series winners.

How did you do?

The point is, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday. These are no second-rate achievers. They are the best in their fields. But the applause dies. Awards tarnish. Achievements are forgotten. Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.
Here's another quiz. See how you do on this one:
1. List a few teachers who aided your journey through school.
2. Name 3 friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
3. Name 5 people who have taught you something worthwhile.
4. Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special.
5. Think of 5 people you enjoy spending time with.
Easier?

The lesson: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia (These last 2 lines are attributable to Schultz for sure.)
--Charles Schultz
Local Loving = Work Second, Family First
Of course what this means is the reverse is also true. All our attempts and dream to find immortality through fame and power are likely to result in a small poof--our real value is what we do and give and how we live on in those around us whose lives we touch.

It feels like our whole societal structure was not set up properly for this. We spend at least--and more like 10 or 12 hours a day preparing ourselves for work, getting there, and using our brain work and energy to make someone else's desires come true.

I'm even lucky enough to truly like my job. My career is my life in many ways. . .but I also see the pointlessness of it. I've left enough jobs to know that people start to downplay your value and contribution before you even get all your belongings out the door if you decide to leave (or if they decide to lay you off), and even the people who you share most of your life with now--all the day's ins and outs, the laughs, the inside jokes--they most likely do nothing to keep in touch either after the work connection is gone.

So there we are, giving our families the bits of energy we have left, struggling to re-energize ourselves to connect with them and laugh with them make a significant contribution to their spirits and psyches, without it just being a re-hash of our work day.

To remember each time we speak to them that they are the people we love most in the world. . . let them hear it in our voice.

6 comments:

  1. :)
    you got it!
    now own it

    Peace~Rene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So true!! Love the last part of this post...my family definitely gets what's "left over" at the end of the day-that needs to change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this. I feel like the worship of things so far removed is harmful, but those who we are closest to suffer neglect. I have so many troubles with my family, and yet I still talk to them multiple times a week with hope that one day we will reach middle ground.

    I need to tell people more often when they make a difference in my life! There is an instructor who blew my mind last winter quarter, and empowered me- I need to go tell her what a difference she made.

    THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post - thank you so much. And it's all so true. I left a job where I'd been for almost 15 years awhile back, and the patients and staff were all upset - but by the time I'd worked out my notice, they had already moved on emotionally - and so had I. Live in the day! This is where we have an effect on the world and all therein! Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, sniff, this is a beautiful post. I <3 you for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "the people who you share most of your life with now--all the day's ins and outs, the laughs, the inside jokes--they most likely do nothing to keep in touch either after the work connection is gone."

    I 100% agree with this statement. There are a few people that I get along w/ really well at work, but at the end of the day, it's obvious that my personal life has no interest to them. I really wish it could be different.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. . . it lets me know I'm not alone! Please leave one.