Friday, August 14, 2009

Day 42: Okra Gumbo, Lady Peas, & Homegrown Tomatoes

TODAY'S INSPIRATION
"It's difficult to think
anything but pleasant thoughts
while eating a homegrown tomato.”
- Lewis Grizzard

Inspirational Song
Jambalaya
Hank Williams Sr.

Food From My Mama
Last weekend my stepdaugther and her family were here and my mama came too on Sun. so she could visit with our granddaughters.

I let it be a surprise to Mama that they were here because I knew if I told her, she drive herself to distraction planning the meal and bringing food and gifts for the girls (that she can't afford and that they don't need).

I had to lie to Mama several times to accomplish this secret keeping. Mama we have the meal all planned. Yes, Mama, we already bought the fish.

I told Mama she didn't have to bring anything. She agreed. Here's what she brought:
A bag of big, fresh juicy peaches.
4 homegrown tomatoes
1 homegrown cucumber
Several small potatoes (from a neighbor who gave them to her after Mama sharing the peaches)
Lady peas cooked by Mama
Okra gumbo cooked by Mama (okra & tomatoes with sliced bacon) [these 2 didn't "count" because she brought them for my lunches 'cause she knows I love 'em'
2 peach pies

She called me the next day regretting that she hadn't brought me some of her homemade Southern cornbread, all crunchy on the top and bottom (from being cooked in a cast iron skillet)--the best (esp with a few slices of homegrown tomatoes and a piece of hot catfish)

She also brought a lemon thyme she'd potted for me and a bag of old table clothes, doilies, and something else I can't remember.


This is not my mama's okra gumbo. . .she'd never serve hers in such as fancy dish.


Lady peas. . .Mama cooks hers in ham bouillon.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like your Momma is a wonderful cook - it all sounds fabulous! And I think Mr. Grizzard may well be correct. Homegrown tomatoes are a thing of wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm sounds good, kinda hungry havent eaten since midnight...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny to think about what she would have brought had she known it wasn't just the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me kind of glad my mother is such a terrible cook....

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so good. Especially the peas. I have some in my frige right now, but I got mine from the farmer's market!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I wish I had read this yesterday...I laughed so hard and so long when I read this! I am not at all surprised... ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. . . it lets me know I'm not alone! Please leave one.