Friday, January 8, 2010

Week 1, 2010 Perfect 10 Update & Secret #1


If you're paying attention you're saying, "What, how can week 1's assessment be here already? You just posted your Perfect 10 Goals yesterday!" But I was a bit late in signing up for South Beach Steve's Perfect 10 Challenge. And, no, I don't think it's cheating to write the goals after you already know what you have or haven't succeed with the first week--there are still 9 weeks to go!

Update #1 for My Goals for the First 10 Weeks of 2010


  1. Plan out my weekly menu in advance and preferably use it to grocery shop (weekly menu comes from new Eating Well Diet cookbook or site, SparkPeople, Weight Watchers, or other healthy meals); meals should equal ~1500 calories a day
    • How I did: Success! Figured out a menu on Sun, shopped by it, and have stuck by it for breakfast and lunch--punted twice on dinner but with reasonable and healthy substitutions.
  2. Use one weekend day (or an weekday evening night) to cook ahead--soups for lunches, veggies for the week, and perhaps 1 dinner entree.
    • How I did: Success! I made a rice, black-eyed pea, collard green "stew" that I ate for 2 lunches and froze some for future lunches. I also stayed up late one night to cook brussel sprouts which I've added to 2 lunches.
  3.  Plan 2 nights a week where dinner is easy--like hummus & veggies, a vegggie burger or other quick sandwich
    • How I did: Success! I knew that last night and tonight we'd be late eating--I had planned an omelet sandwich for last night and only half-planned tonight, but I did OK--cereal last night and hummus with crackers tonight (and a few grahams with peanut butter)
  4. Pack my lunches most days and eat the lunch I packed.
    • How I did: Success! Packed every day and ate it every day.
  5. Get up 4-6 days a week with Hubby to swim at the gym, and keep increasing the intensity each week.
    • How I did: Success! Got up Monday, Tuesday, & Wedsnesday to swim before work. Thurs. is our off day. Friday (I'm updating Thurs. night for a Fri. AM post date) the weather is supposed to be icy in GA so the plan is get up and take turns walking on the treadmill while the other goes up and down on the step--I think that counts.
  6. Learn the breast stroke.
    • How I did: Starting! On Tues. night I researched how to do it; on Weds. I practiced it--arms only; legs only, and a bit together.
  7. Work out with Hubby & trainer two times a week
    • How I did: First things first. . . we signed up to work with a trainer together 2 times a week with our new trainer Ray. Our first session is Sat. at 9:30 AM. I'm excited and nervous. Hubby's never trained before and we've never done it together and we don't know this guy at all yet. 
  8. Ride the recumbant bike at least 2x a week and increase time at least every two weeks
    • How I did: No where on this yet. . . My goal is to start this on Sun. 
  9. Start going to church with Hubby and actively look for friends
    • How I did: Didn't set these goals before Sun., so still have the first Sun to come.  
  10. Make a point to be aware of and challenge negative thinking
    • How I did: All energized in newby restart mode so this wasn't so challenging this week. But I did have a moment at the pool on Weds. when I was discounting/apologizing for our status and had the opportunity to reframe it!  
Secret #1 Revealed
Another one of Steve's rule for the Perfect 10 Challenge is to tell something about yourself that other bloggers likely don't know.
I love having plants in my house and people have commented about how well I do with them, but my secret is I only keep plants that do well with neglect--that perk back up with watering after a long Sandy-imposed draught. That includes peace lily, violets, bamboo, and philadendron.

7 comments:

  1. Great job, Sandy. That is a lot of big changes to start the year off with. ROCK IT!

    Alison :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I can't wait to visit you guys and be a food snob with you!!

    (also, I knew your secret :P teehee!)

    bel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on making it through week 1 with a lot of success.
    You did great! I so love to swim and really should think about doing that for some cardio.
    And as for plants - mine are pretty hardy too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though you knew what the results of the goals set would be when you set the goals you still achieved them so I say: Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is pretty smart about the plants I need to remember that one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, Sandy, you rocked those goals! And I'm all for swimming, whoohoo! I'm thinking of joining a gym to keep on swimming once winter comes to this part of the world. Glad you're participating in the Perfect 10 - good luck for week 2!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I came over to visit from Leslie's blog. You left her some great advice! Good luck on your weight loss. I know you can do it. I could so relate to many of the things you said about your feet hurting and so forth. But I have lost 100 pounds so far, and I am 55 years old. So I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. . . it lets me know I'm not alone! Please leave one.