Monday, April 13, 2009

Song of My Life #2 St. Louis Blues

In a recent post I talked about funeral songs and noted that there were 3 songs that seemed like songs that represented me and my life that may be funeral worthy.

The Second Song of My Life: St. Louis Blues can be less directly applied to my ife than Song #1 I Can't Help Falling in Love. I mean you can't take it as a literal translation for my life. . .starting with my man hasn't left me nor does he have a heart like a rock cast in the sea. (And for this I am deeply grateful.)

However, there are a few direct things about this song that make it fit for me.

The most simple is that I just love the song. I love the blues and hip sway in it. I have versions with harmonica, folk singers with guitar, and veteran blues performers like Etta James. I love them all.

Another fairly direct connection is that my dad's family is from a city south of St. Louis so St. Louis makes me think of my deep love for my now passed grandparents and my much beloved aunts & uncles. I never get to see them enough, it gives me the blues! :)

But mostly my connection with this song is more loosely metaphoric--
The lines I love most. .I hate to see that evening sun go down and Feeling tomorrow like I feel today, I'm gonna pack my bags and make my get away. . . speak to the on-going dual angst in my life--a true Gemini, I y'am, I y'am.

I'm the kind of person who wants to do it all and who has no sense of time--how long things will take. This has a tendency to leave me in a constant state of disappointment--instead of reveling in what I have done, I worry about what I wasn't able to fit in.

And I'm a wanderer. . .finding it hard to settle down. . .

But mostly the metaphor is of the woman with her diamond rings. . . she's not a real woman luring my man away. She's a metaphoric woman luring me to be ever wanting more, and there's a fine line between regrets and aspiring sometimes. . .ain't that what the blues is all about?

3 comments:

  1. Alas, me being a Gemini as well, I know exactly how you feel. I psyche myself up for the perfect, most wonderful day, but in the end, it's just a regular, normal day. I too struggle with never feeling good enough. Someday I'll realize that you can be everything to everyone, and we are just supposed to except that. Be thankful the ones who truly appreciate you. Like me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked reading this. You brought out so many good points that I share - wandering, wanting to do it all, not realizing how much time things take, disppointment. But I also liked the way you wrote about how music reminds you of people and places that are important to you. It's a good thing to remember the good and carry it along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share many of these sentiments. I try to do too much also. This is a great idea for a post. I should try one soon. I enjoyed listening to this meaningful song.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. . . it lets me know I'm not alone! Please leave one.