Saturday, February 21, 2009

Puppy Yeats Update

Puppy Yeats is now 10 1/2 weeks old. She's a Golden Doodle--her dame was a standard poodle and her sire a golden retriever. It's funny how now there is a "Golden Doodle" -- 15 years ago or so she would have been called simply a mix or a mutt. Now the breed is in high demand and a bit costly because of their friendly smarts, low allergy potential and low shed. These pictures are actually 2 weeks old--my niece took them during her first meeting with Yeats. Since then, she's also met my mom, stepdaughter, son-in-law, 2 of our granddaughters, and my sister! 7-year-old granddaughter "Pete" said she felt like part of the family now.



Hubby named her for the poet WB Yeats, so if you're not up on your poets, it's pronounced "Yates" not like "Yeets" as she gets called by the unknowing.


Hubby is very good with her since they are together all day. Sometimes he is like a new mom--dying to get back in civilization and to take a leisurely shower without the "baby" crying.

She is doing very well with crate training. We took out the divider in it to give her more stretching room. She sometimes will sleep through until 6:30 or so, but often wakes us around 5 for an "outing." Luckily, she does her business really quickly once outside.



She is not very good on the leash and we joke that she turns into "Cujo" dog--grabbing it and shaking her head and growling at us. We try to be patient. We have had fence folks come out to give us quotes, but I still want to be able to make her mannerly enough for good walks. Our dog trainer Wendy (of Atlanta's PupsinProgress) helps us--she's great at helping us be realistic about what a puppy can do. It's not at all like the Dog Whisperer, Cesar Milan, who comes in cures in 15 min. It's a lot of repetition.

She's really getting bigger--much bigger than when we saw her online, when we selected her, when we brought her home, and after her first week with us.
I call this one "All Teeth"--not nipping/mouthing is something she seems to be slowest about learning! As our 2 year old granddaughter "Lulu" said when she met her last weekend--"Yeats wants to eat me and carry me around."

8 comments:

  1. Awww, she is so cute...and she has a Wubba! My Paco loves his Wubba.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally adorable, I knew a Golden Doodle puppy, it was amazing to watch her grow up.

    You sure have a lot on your hands, it looks like you are up for the challenge though.
    My moms dog just had puppies, and she has promised my kids one. Looks like I will be a pup mom too soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thanks for the update on your puppy. What a beautiful dog; I love the name (and the poet) Is the yellow object she is holding in a photo a toy? Hugs Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's adorable AND getting big! My mini dog is half poodle and half pom. No shed... lovely dog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Yeats!! What a cutie! We have dear friends with a Golden Doodle and had never heard of one before that. He's about a year old.

    I wanted to say THANK YOU!! for your very kind words about my essay. (And I'm glad you think it would have one if I'd had competition! :) ) It's always so different writing for someone else. Deadlines can intimidate me out but they are a part of writing. I always try to get done early. Anyway, please come back by anytime. I'd love to "see" you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeats has really grown! It all happens too fast in my opinion. Our Molly was a bipolar-Cujo dog too when she was on leash. She did the same thing. It does take a lot of repetition and consistent training from her alpha parents. She looks so happy. Love the fashionable doggie bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cutie! With regard to leash walking I highly recommend the gentle leader (I have loads of animal training experience). Biting on a leash is a sign of dominance and if you can nip that in the bud you'll be much happier in the long run. The gentle leader works wonders, Yeats will probably melt down the first couple times you use it and then settle in, eventually you won't need it. I doesn't hurt your pooch (unlike other options) and really doesn't require any physical effort on your part.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. . . it lets me know I'm not alone! Please leave one.