Sunday, November 2, 2008

No Cute Seasonal Weight Loss Trackers for Me

I've been looking at a lot of weight loss blogs recently. I see a lot of trackers showing progress to a commitment to lose a certain amount of weight by a certain amount of time. They are really cute trackers for the season--pumpkins & Christmas themes. But that kind of goal setting has never worked for me. I'm not sure why exactly, but here are my guesses.
  1. I've never found losing weight to be as scientific as they make it out to be. I know 3500 calories equals a pound, so I grasp that if I create a deficit of 3500 calories of what my body needs to sustain my current weight by either moving more or eating less, then it should result in weight loss. But you know, sometimes it just doesn't. Sometimes my body doesn't do what I expect it to do or what the scientists say it should. I was kind of relieved when I heard someone weighing in on the Biggest Loser that she had tracked exactly how many calories she had consumed and burned but her body didn't do what it was supposed to. I don't think they've figured out the body's exact schedule yet. So to schedule weight loss just leaves me feeling frustrated.
  2. To count ahead to how much weight I will lose puts me in the "dreaming about weight loss" mindset instead of the "making active decisions about losing weight" mindset. How many nights have I lain awake counting on my fingers how much weight I could lose by a certain time? That anticipated counting doesn't seem to move me forward. But it does work for me to count what's past--that it, it's more effective to count my steps! (A high count means the moving/achieving has already been done.) Wishing to be thinner doesn't get me anywhere.
  3. I think the whole goal by a certain date somehow makes it seem kind of competitive. And I've never been very good at competition. I don't think I could be on The Biggest Loser, for instance, because I can't stand the game playing aspect of it. This season has made that more clear for me. I'm not sure if I'd been Phil or Amy that I could have left and succeeded after having so many evil people attacking me. I'm impressed with how they were able to move on instead of letting those people sink them. (By the way, I love how Bob called Vicki Shakespearean--what a more enlightened term to describe her manipulative, cruel, purposefully painful ways than simply calling her a Bitch.)

Anyhow, I think it's great if setting those kind of goals works for people and keeps them on track. It just doesn't for me. Each week just seems to slip by, with me always counting on getting on it the next week.

What does help me is setting weekly goals that involve activity particularly--like have a goal that I'll exercise twice a day at least 2 days during the week. Setting identity rules around eating helps me too. Like I don't eat from anyone's candy dish. These kind of goals feel more within my control and help me feel more immediately successful.

If you have success setting a weight goal by a certain time, what makes it work for you? What do you tell yourself?

7 comments:

  1. I DONT EAT FROM ANYONES CANDY DISH.

    ok.

    I should email you this but Im lazy that way :) I LOVE THAT.

    and there is a tiny chance that ala todays post I want to MAKE you adopt that as your personal tagline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog through your comment. I think you're doing it exactly the right way. No method works for everyone, but once you find something that works, stick with it! :)

    I'm big on getting in regular workouts and making sure I eat according to my hunger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your lists of what works for you and what doesn't. Also -- love your personal tagline as identified by MizFit! :) I, on the other hand, need short term goals. Without them, I'm more apt to take a day (or 4) "off." The goals I set are primarily used as my reminders -- to stay on plan, exercise, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my blog! Right now, that weight loss tracker ain't working for me either! I like what you said about dreaming about weight loss instead of making active decisions. So true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have I mentioned lately how much I just love your writing style?! Well, I do. Another good post. Thank you. I'm one of the people you mention with the cute seasonal weight loss tracker. In all honesty, I'm not sure it's working all that well. Sometimes I feel like I'll grab on to anything that will motivate me, but I'm not certain it's working.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though it's hard, I think if you make it a "lifestyle," rather than a goal, I think your mentality will be different. Though it's easier said than done, and I don't always take my own advice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Ruth

    http://www.infrared-sauna-spot.info
    ramul

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. . . it lets me know I'm not alone! Please leave one.